News / Changelog
Version history and all changes to Online2PDF.com
|Hint: An overview of all features including a detailed documentation can be found in Features|
Version 9.5 (June 6, 2022)
- Added Support for new image formats: jpe, jxl, jp2 (jpx, jpf, j2k, j2c, jpc), dng, nef, avif, emf, dcm
- Improvement Small changes in the user interface for page selection and page rotation
- Improvement When using the PDF page wizard: After selecting/rotating pages, an information is shown near the respective file in the converter that changes (like page selection or page rotation) were defined.
- Improvement For conversions to PDF: some optimizations were applied when creating the PDF
- Other minor bug fixes
Version 9.4 (February 28, 2022)
- Added Option Duplex-Printer - flip on short edge for the creation of a booklet: you can now choose between the option flip on long edge (behaviour as before) or flip on short edge, depending on which option you prefer when printing the booklet. While for the first option each second page is upside down in the PDF in order to get the correct booklet layout after printing (because long edge is usually preselected in the printer settings), the rotation is not applied for the new option, but you have to make sure that in the printer settings the option for flipping on the short edge is activated.
- Improvement for conversions to Word/Excel/Powerpoint and other formats without OCR:
Page limit is increased from 100 to 150 pages
- Improvement for conversions to Word/Excel/Powerpoint and other formats with OCR:
Page limit is increased from 20 to 30 pages
- Improvement for conversions from XPS or PDF to PDF: some optimizations were applied when creating the PDF
- Improvement User interface: Autocomplete is deactivated to avoid unintentional input in text fields and options
- Bugfix for conversions when using the option "Custom layout": When "Automatic orientation" was selected, all pages were created in portrait or landscape depending on orientation of the first page instead of determining the orienation for each page separately.
- Bugfix for the file selection with Drag&Drop: only 19 files instead of 20 files could be selected.
- Other minor bug fixes
Version 9.3 (March 18, 2021)
- Added Option Reading direction for "Multiple pages per sheet" and "Split multi-page layout": If you need multiple pages per sheet or if you want to split a multi-page layout, you can select the reading direction (left-to-right or right-to-left) and the order "row by row" or "column by column". A preview for the order is available.
- Added Feature "Booklet to 1-page-per-sheet": the pages of a disassembled, scanned booklet are split into 2 parts and the pages are correctly arranged afterwards.
This feature is available at the preference tab "Layout" ➔ "Split multi-page layout" ➔ "Cut each page into 2 parts" ➔ Reading direction: "Booklet layout (disassembled)".
- Improvement for conversions from Image to Excel: Preference tab "Image-to-Excel" is shown in order to rotate images and to select the page size for the conversion.
- Improvement for conversions from Image to TXT: Preference tab "Compression" is hidden because it does not have any function in this case. Preference tab "JPG-to-TXT" is shown in order to rotate images. OCR is always enabled.
- Improvement for conversions from Image to PDF: If only images are selected, the preference tab "Layout" is shown in order to use the feature "Split multi-page layout".
- Bugfix for conversions from TIFF to PDF (multiple pages with different page sizes): If the option "Use original size of the images" was selected, always the page size of the first page was applied for all pages.
- Bugfix for conversions to "Image-PDF": When creating an Image-PDF, always the page size A4 was used instead of the original page size of the PDF.
- Bugfix for preference tab "Image-to-PDF" and preference tab "Layout": If the page format "Original size" was used, it was possible to select Portrait and Landscape as orientation, even though these options did not have any use.
- Bugfix for "Split multi-page layout": If pages were rotated at the same time, the wrong order for the split pages was used.
- Bugfix for "Split multi-page layout": If "Automatic orientation" was selected and the original file had pages with different orientations, then the orientation for the converted file was chosen incorrectly.
- Bugfix for "Split multi-page layout": If the page format "Original size" was used, then the wrong pager size for the converted file was applied.
- Bugfix for "Split multi-page layout": In rare cases the layout was split incorrectly.
- Update Version 9.3.1 (June 13, 2021):
- Bugfix for the conversion of black-and-white images (monochrome) to PDF: if the compression setting "Color" was used, the images were processed as color images so that the file size was bigger.
- Bugfix for "Split multi-page layout": If pages were rotated at the same time to the right or to the left, the wrong order for the split pages was used.
- Other minor bug fixes
Version 9.2 (December 27, 2020)
- HEIC/HEIF image files are supported
- The option "Black-and-White (monochrome)" can be selected in the Compression settings which converts the whole content to Black-and-White images (monochrome, i.e. 1 bit per pixel). This way smaller files can be generated. This option is possible for following conversions:
- PDF to Image-PDF
- PDF to searchable PDF files
- PDF to PNG
- Images (jpg, png, tiff...) to PDF: here the option "Black-and-White (monochrome)" was already available but the compression was greatly improved
- Generally better compression for all images and photos containing in PDF files
- If multiple files are selected by using Drag&Drop, the files are automatically sorted alphabetically in the converter. Furthermore, selected files can be removed separately.
- Other minor bug fixes
Version 9.1 (August 31, 2020)
- Update v9.1.1 (September 4, 2020):
- Bug fixed when converting PDF to Word, Excel, Powerpoint: paper size was always changed to A4 size instead of retaining the original page size
- New Feature: in the Layout settings there is a new option called "Booklet". If you choose this mode, you get a PDF where the pages are ordered in such a way, so that you get a ready booklet after printing and folding the pages in the middle. More details
- Other minor bug fixes
Version 9.0 (March 14, 2020)
- Update v9.0.3 (May 19, 2020):
- Bug fixed with Image-to-Image conversions (e.g. TIFF to JPG): sometimes the conversion failed when the option for multiple images per sheet was used
- Update v9.0.2 (May 17, 2020):
- Bug fixed with Image-to-Image conversions (e.g. TIFF to JPG): was always converted to PDF even if JPG/PNG was selected as output format
- PDF annonations didn't convert properly if the annotations were created on Apple devices
- Update v9.0.1 (March 15, 2020):
- Bug fixed for the "Image-to-PDF" preferences because they didn't have any impact on the conversion
- Added 26 additional languages for the optical character recognition (OCR)
- E-Book file formats can be converted to PDF (.azw, .azw3, .azw4, .mobi, .epub)
- PDF files can be converted to E-Book formats (.azw3, .mobi, .epub)
- PSD and WEBP files can be converted to PDF
- Image-to-PDF: Compression improved for particular images
- Faster and improved character recognition
- User interface improved
- Bug fixed for some bookmarks and internal links in PDFs whose target position was one page ahead
- Other minor bug fixes
Version 8.6 (November 30, 2019)
- For the settings "Image-to-PDF" and "Layout" you can define a customized page format. Until now only predefined, standardized page formats were available like A4 - now you can define the width and height in mm, cm or inch.
- For the settings "Image-to-PDF" and "Layout" you can define customized values for inner and outer margin (in mm, cm or inch).
- For the settings "Image-to-PDF" and "Layout" you can define the size of the images or of the PDF content either in exact values (in mm, cm or inch) or relative to the page width/height in percentage.
- For the settings "Image-to-PDF" and "Layout" you can define the exact position if you choose a customized size (until now, the content was placed in the middle), now you can set the horizontal position (left, middle, right) and the vertical position (top, middle, bottom) explicitly. Additionally, you can set the spacing in mm, cm or inch to the respective page edges.
- If you choose the layout option "Multiple pages per sheet" and the original file contains only a single page, then it will be duplicated to the specified number of pages automatically, so that the whole sheet is filled.
- A problem when processing some PDF files was fixed.
- Other minor bug fixes.
Version 8.5 (April 27, 2019)
- Split multipage layout: PDF with multiple pages per sheet can be converted to 1 page per sheet (can be found in preferences "Layout")
- When using a header/footer for the PDF, the original filename can be inserted (with or without file extension): The new placeholders are called (file).(ext) and (file)
- Improvements for conversions from OpenOffice/LibreOffice to PDF
- Improvements for conversions from PDF/XPS/Images to TXT
- Some other minor bugfixes
Version 8.4 (December 16, 2018)
- Update v8.4.5 (January 31, 2019): Hotfix: Bug fixed with missing text parts (introduced in v8.4.4)
- Update v8.4.4 (January 31, 2019): Improved runtime and stability for some conversions (Powerpoint to PDF, PDF to Powerpoint, OpenOffice to PDF)
- Update v8.4.3 (January 14, 2019): Bug fixed with PDF annotations when merging PDF files
- Update v8.4.2 (January 2, 2019): Bug fixed in Excel-to-PDF (wrong page layout was used when scaling was defined in Excel printing settings)
- Update v8.4.1 (December 26, 2018): Bug fixed with links and annoations in PDF files (some links were not working and some annoations were removed after PDF-to-PDF conversions)
- PDF to PDF: if a PDF contains customized comments, text highlighting and annotations, they will be retained during the PDF processing
- New option in the preference tab "View": you can define whether PDF annoations should be retained, deleted or embeded into the PDF file. The latter ensures that the annoations are integrated into the PDF content and therefore are not editable any longer.
- Image processing and Image-to-PDF improved
- XPS-to-PDF optimized
- PDF-to-PDF optimized
Version 8.3 (September 9, 2018)
- Update v8.3.1 (September 10, 2018): Bug fixed with internal and external links in PDF files
- Scanned files can be converted to searchable PDF files. This feature can be activated by choosing "Searchable PDF" as output format in the dropdown menu after selecting the file. Then an optical character recognition (only in selected languages) will be applied and contained text in images and scans will be selectable, copyable and also searchable.
- You can also choose "Image-PDF" as output format. Then you get a PDF file, which seems to be like a scanned document which contains only images. Text will not be copyable and also not selectable because the whole content is converted as an image.
- By using the PDF export (to Word or Powerpoint), you can define that the whole content is inserted as image. That is useful if the file contains complex contents which cannot be converted easily. If the whole content is pasted as an image, you can still insert text layers above the content, e.g. to fill forms in Word or to insert additional text in presentations.
- By using the PDF export with activated OCR, you can now apply the character recognition for the whole content, not only for scans. In some cases, PDF files contain wrong character encodings and therefore it is not possible to copy or search text (even if the text is selectable!). All you would get are symbols or wrong characters. The standard OCR is only applied for scanned pages, not for already existing text. Therefore you would get all these wrong characters in the converted document too. With the new feature "Advanced OCR" (selectable as checkbox) each page is handled as image and the whole text is newly recognized with OCR.
- OCR page limit increased to 20 pages per conversion
- Image processing and Image-to-PDF improved
- XPS-to-PDF optimized
- PDF-to-PDF optimized
Version 8.2 (March 24, 2018)
Version 8.1 (January 28, 2018)
Version 8.0 (May 28, 2017)
- Optical Character Recognition (OCR) in images is supported when converting PDF to Word/Excel/Powerpoint (as an additional option, up to 10 pages)
- XPS/OXPS files can be directly converted to Word/Excel/Powerpoint/Images (without converting them to PDF first)
- Image files (JPG, TIF, PNG...) can be directly converted to Word/Excel/Powerpoint (using the Optical Character Recognition)
- Word to PDF: Fixed a problem when using quotes ( ' or " ) with some particular font families: there were some visual differences of the characters in the whole line (only for particular zoom values and maybe for printing)
- PDF to Excel: all created Excel files are now saved in the Calculation Mode "Automatic", so that subsequent formula calculations in the Excel sheet are refreshed automatically
- Excel to PDF: Fixed a problem when using the option "English (US)" for dates, in some cases the wrong date order DD/MM/YYYY was used instead of the correct order MM/DD/YYYY
Version 7.6 (April 17, 2017)
- File size limit increased from 50 MB to 100 MB, whole data limit increased from 100 MB to 150 MB
- Page limit for PDF to Word/Excel/Powerpoint/Images increased from 50 pages to 100 pages
- Improvements when converting PDF to PDF or PDF to Word/Excel/Powerpoint regarding character encoding
- Improvements when converting XPS to PDF regarding character encoding
- Bug fixed when processing links in a PDF: in some rare cases the links were not clickable or when using internal links the target position within a PDF page was incorrect
- Feedback-Section revised: When a user is facing a problem, instant solutions and hints are displayed
- FAQ page extended
- Help page updated
Version 7.5 (January 6, 2017)
- Version 7.5.2 (February 9, 2017): bug was fixed when some conversions were not completed and instead a timeout message occured; furthermore the character encoding of PDF export was improved
- Version 7.5.1 (February 1, 2017): When a read-protected PDF without password was converted, an incorrect error message was returned (i.e. that the file is broken or not supported instead of giving a hint that a password is required and has to be entered before the conversion)
- Much higher upload and download speeds
- Faster conversions
- Improved the conversion from PDF to PDF and the PDF export (PDF to Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
- Improved (O)XPS to PDF conversion
Version 7.4 (December 8, 2016)
- PDF files can be converted to PNG image files. This image format is useful for PDFs having (vector) graphics and text and needs much less file size than JPG image files. But in contrast to that, JPG is still better for PDFs having photos or scanned pages.
- Image to PDF: the orientation of images can be defined in the options now (see the tab "Image-to-PDF").
There you can choose between "Original orientation" (as before) and "Automatic orientation", which rotates images regarding the Exif metadata included in the image files (if available).
Until Windows 8.1 the Exif metadata of image files were ignored in the "Windows Photo Viewer". Therefore for all these users the "Original orientation" is selected by default for the conversion.
For Windows 10 users the "Automatic orientation" is selected by default from now, so that all the images are converted the same way as they are displayed in the "Photos App" in Windows 10, because in the "Photos App" the Exif metadata are taken into account for the orientation of images.
This behavior can be changed manually, of course. Additionally, there are many other options to rotate images.
- Excel to PDF: the date separator (dot or slash) is applied correctly now when choosing a date language in the converter settings (e.g. DD.MM.YYYY for German or DD/MM/YYYY for other languages). This date language has to be defined explicitly in the converter settings under the tab "Excel".
- Fixed a bug when converting images to PDF: the image size in the PDF was applied incorrectly in some rare cases when the option was selected to choose the orientation of the PDF page automatically.
Version 7.3 (September 25, 2016)
- Fixed a bug for PDF to JPG: when multiple PDF files were converted concurrently to JPG, then an incorrect directory hierarchy was created in some cases inside the ZIP file with wrong file names and file extensions.
- Excel to PDF: it is possible to define the language for the dates in Excel files at the preferences tab "Excel". This affects all cell formattings which depend on the region and language of the user.
- PDF to Excel: the language setting "English (US)" has also impacts on the PDF to Excel conversions, in case the date is ambiguous (for example 01/03/2010 stands for January 3, 2010 in USA, but in United Kingdom it means March 01, 2010). This will be taken into account from now to define the correct internal date for the particular cells in Excel.
- When converting to PDF, containing E-Mail addresses in the PDF could not be invoked.
Version 7.2 (June 19, 2016)
- Version 7.2.3 (June 29, 2016): Fixed a problem where links and bookmarks were wrongly encoded when a protection was applied to a PDF document
- Version 7.2.2 (June 27, 2016): Fixed a problem where a border was applied when using a customized layout (only by using the option "1 page per sheet")
- Version 7.2.1 (June 21, 2016): Fixed a problem where some special characters in links and bookmarks in PDFs were wrongly encoded
- Fixed a bug when converting TIFF to PDF: for some TIFF files the PDF output resulted in a blank page
- When applying a multipage layout it is possible to use a border (useful for Powerpoint slides)
- Improved compression for PDF files
- Fixed a bug in external links when the PDF page layout was changed
Version 7.1 (June 5, 2016)
- Version 7.1.1 (June 6, 2016): Fixed a problem which sometimes produced a much bigger PDF file size
- Word to PDF: Fixed a problem when using single-quotes ( ' ) with some particular font families: there were some visual differences of the characters in the whole line (only for particular zoom values and maybe for printing)
- Word to PDF: Fixed a problem when "Track changes" was enabled in the Word document: when using double-quotes there were wrongly tracked changes
- Powerpoint to PDF: Fixed a problem where some pages were wrongly rotated during the conversion (due to a majority of vertical text on that slide)
- PDF to Powerpoint: optimization of runtime
- The processing of PDF and XPS files was improved
- Images to PDF: improved compression and therefore smaller files while retaining the same quality
- Images to PDF: the option 'Black-and-White (Monochrome)' is addtitionally selectable in the Compression settings to convert the image in real single color black instead of in gray scale (which is useful for scanned text having bright color and which is difficult to read)
Version 7.0 (April 3, 2016)
- Redesign of the website and improved user interface
- Support for smartphones and tablets
Version 6.8 (March 10, 2016)
- Publisher to PDF: Fixed a problem regarding the predefined page size and page layout. When choosing the layout option "One page per sheet" in Publisher, then the A4 page size was applied in some cases, even though the original page size was another one. Therefore, with immediate effect, when choosing the layout option "One page per sheet" in Publisher you will always get the original page size when converting the file to PDF - and independently of the predefined paper size in the Publisher printer settings.
Version 6.7 (February 12, 2016)
- Image-to-PDF: New option in the Image-to-PDF settings. It is now possible to use the original image size as PDF page size (instead of standardized page sizes like A4, A3...).
- Hyperlinks in PDF files to local files are now supported (also in Word and other Office files hyperlinks to local files are converted properly)
- New option in the View settings: for "Zoom setting" and "Page layout" the option "Use the default settings of the PDF viewer" is available. In this way no explicit view settings are saved in the PDF file. Instead the default settings of the PDF Reader are applied.
- Moreover a problem is fixed in the Adobe Reader with activated option "Restore last view settings when reopening documents", so that the previously viewed page is now displayed correctly when reopening the PDF.
Version 6.6 (January 26, 2016)
- Improvements for Word to PDF conversions (optimized fonts, support of markups)
- Processing of PDFs was improved
- The conversion of (O)XPS to PDF was enhanced
Version 6.5 (September 6, 2015)
- The converter and the main page are available in Spanish, Italian and Portuguese.
Version 6.4 (April 19, 2015)
- Multiple pages can be displayed on one single PDF page:
at Preferences -> Layout -> Pages per PDF page
or for images: at Preferences -> Image-to-PDF -> Images per page
- The page layout of already existing documents can be changed:
at Preferences -> Layout -> Pages per PDF page -> 1 page - with customized layout
(you can choose the page margin, page size, orientation and content size)
- Color or black-and-white for images possible: at Preferences -> Compression
Version 6.3 (March 22, 2015)
- Main page is available in French
- Fixed download error when converting files with specific characters in filenames
Version 6.2 (February 22, 2015)
- MDI-files are supported (MS Office Imaging)
- HTTPS can be used for encrypted connection
- Starting the translation of the website into more languages, users are encouraged to help in the DevLab by translating some text parts
- some conversion improvements, some minor changes in the user interface
Version 6.1 (January 13, 2015)
- Image to PDF: support for transparent image files
- Image to PDF: much more page sizes are available (A1, A2, A6, and many B, C, ANSI and ARCH page sizes)
- Image to PDF: improved conversion for images with unequal pixel aspect ratio
- Excel conversion: the decimal separator (comma or point) can be selected in the settings called 'Excel', so that conversions from Excel to PDF or from PDF to Excel can be done with the correct number formatting.
Version 6.0 (October 26, 2014)
- Conversion from PDF to JPG
- Split PDF (customized or single-page-files)
- Improvements in the user interface, added file selection per Drag&Drop
- Revised error messages with more information
- Introduced warning/info messages displayed after the conversion, for example if page limits were exceeded or content parts could not be converted
- Remove password for multiple files having same password at once: password only for the first file necessary, all following files will be unlocked automatically
- Better file names for converted files
- Improved conversion process, higher availability
Version 5.6 (September 26, 2014)
- Page numbering: initial value can be defined
- Image conversion: zoom to full page size possible
- Improved conversion process, higher availability
Version 5.5 (July 13, 2014)
- Compatibility issue with Internet Explorer 10 und 11 fixed; due to a bug in latest security update from Microsoft for IE 10 and 11 (from July 08, 2014), the file download resulted in a browser crash
- Upload progress is shown (on modern browsers)
- Download can be repeated
- Optimizations on user interface
Version 5.4 (July 09, 2014)
- Support of other Office file extensions: docm, dot, dotx, dotm, xlsb, xlsm, xlt, xltx, xltm, pptm, ppsm, pot, potx, potm
- Conversion from PDF to additonal formats supported: txt, xls, ppt, odt, ods, odp
- Optimization of Image-to-PDF-Conversion, especially improvements relating to the image size
Version 5.3 (April 16, 2014)
- Merge pages of 2 scanned documents (PDF, XPS, TIFF) nested, i.e. the pages of both documents are taken alternated
- Automatic detection of zoom and layout settings (depending on the content - document or presentation slides - the zoom value and the layout setting of the PDF is set automatically)
- Added instructions for converting webpages
- Improved conversion and optimized PDF compatibility
Version 5.2 (March 01, 2014)
- New user interface for settings
- Added support of bookmarks and internal links in PDF documents
(Microsoft Word headings, bookmarks and internal links are also retained when converting Word to PDF)
- Download optimizations
- Improved conversion from TXT to PDF, especially support of different encoding standards
- Improved conversion from PDF to Word/Excel/Powerpoint
- Some minor improvements
Version 5.1 (February 06, 2014)
- Support of multi-page-TIFF files
- Image-to-PDF: Paper size can be set
- advanced FAQ + common problems added
Version 5.0 (July 29, 2013)
- Conversion from PDF to Word, Excel & Powerpoint to edit the PDF fast and easily
- Several files can be converted separately if necessary (instead of merging the files automatically before the conversion), the output is a zip archive containing all converted files
- Header and footer can be defined (with user defined, automatic page numbering or custom text)
- Extended image settings: added magnification factor of the image to adjust the image size on the page
- Improved system core for a faster conversion
Version 4.0 (February 19, 2013)
- Improved file selection: order of files is changeable, file selection erasable, several files can be added in the same file dialog window
- PDF pages can be rotated separately or as a whole
- PDF read protection can be removed by entering the password
- Current conversion status was improved (added support for Chrome)
- File size limit was increased from 25 to 50 MB
- Maximum file number selectable was increased from 10 to 20 files
Version 3.3 (July 24, 2012)
- Upload progress and conversion details are displayed
- User interface was improved
- Maximum file size was increased to 25 MB
Version 3.2 (May 15, 2012)
- New developed, powerful system core for conversion
- MS Office: better and more precise conversion + support for MS Publisher
- New image settings: added page margin and layout
Version 3.0 (February 18, 2012)
- New name & new domain: Online2PDF.com
- New design and layout
- Optimized conversion system
- Uploaded files are unlocked automatically and authorization protection (print, copy, edit) is removed if protection is present
- Added PDF page composition (determined pages can be selected/extracted, order of pages is changeable)
- Maximum file size was increased to 15 MB
Version 2.1 (December 29, 2011)
- Better and more precise conversion to PDF
Version 2.0 (March 13, 2009)
- Added advanced settings: image quality and resolution can be changed
- Added advanced settings: security settings possible (create password for opening, lock print/edit/copy)
Version 1.5 (November 10, 2008)
Version 1.2 (October 21, 2008)
- Added display settings (zoom, page layout when opening PDF)
Version 1.0 (December 22, 2007)
- Start of project file2pdf.u4u.cc
- Images, MS-Office 2003, OpenOffice can be converted to PDF
- PDF files can be merged
- Maximum file size 5 MB, maximum 10 files selectable